These are the special things I’ve got my eye on outside my full gift guide which you can find here. Below is my personal wish list. I love minimalism so I have few things but quality things, therefore I have a constant wish list in my phone of things I’m saving for. Then every so often I’ll buy something on the list. When I do it feels special and exciting. If it’s an experience I’ll really enjoy it and if it’s a physical item I’ll likely keep it for a long time. I figured this time of year would be a good time to share that list.
Here’s what I currently have my eye on…
1. The Weighted Gravity Blanket– I’ve been hearing about this for a while. It seems like something that would be perfect for anyone who is chronically cold (me) and likes to be hugged (everyone?). I’ve never tired one but I’m assuming I’d like it but also wouldn’t want to carry the box up my stairs… have you tried it?
2. Wax & Oil Candle– My friend Dree sent me a care-package a couple months ago. It had all the best things in it, including this Wax & Oil vanilla candle. I adore the smell and what I like even more is how portable the candle is. I’ve adapted a new morning ritual based on something Dree told me about on her episode of my podcast a couple months ago where she shared this book with me called The Lotus & The Lily. I haven’t started yet but what Dree explained is that the book is basically a 30 day inner quest with exercises for going inward and each morning (regardless of where we are) we light this candle, drink a warm drink, read the short passage , and do the journaling exercise. It’s a beautiful way to start the day and while any candle would obviously work for this I love how portable this one is with it’s cap and that is is natural, soy based, and smells like fresh baked cookies.
3. The Jesse Kamm Ranger & Sailor Pants– I’ve been hearing a lot about these pants for the last year and seeing them all over NYC. Past podcast guest Christine first told me about them (I adore her style) and this YouTube channel I enjoy Dearly Bethany did a review on them that told me everything I needed to know. They are real pricey so I want to make sure I find the perfect fit so I can have them forever so I’m going to try to make it to a store in NYC that carries them so I can try them on. I’m also going to try on Everlane’s version of this style pant because my friend (& photographer) Abbey was wearing them when she was in New York and raved about them. Unfortunately, the color I’m after is out of stock until February but I’m hoping to swing by the first Everlane store that just opened in NYC.
4. Any & Everything from Cap Beauty– this is my favorite natural beauty store in New York City’s West Village. I adore going into Cap and even treated myself to a facial there a few months ago which was a delight! I also love Credo Beauty which is another natural beauty store I discovered this summer while living in Williamsburg, they have a location in Brooklyn and Manhattan. They sell some of my favorite lines including, RMS Beauty, show sponsor and genuine fav Juice Beauty, and so much more!
5. Nu Evolution Plum Lipgoss– This is one of the items on this list I actually do own, I’m just running low on it. I can’t say enough about this lip color. I left it in Nick’s pocket after a wedding we attended this fall and was without if for about a month and actually missed it, no other lip product compares. Listen, I never even wore lipgloss that was pigmented before this summer when I wandered into Credo asking for a lipgloss that worked like a chap stick nourishing my lips. I wanted something that wouldn’t feel sticky or make my hair stick to it, I wanted it to smell good, and lastly I wanted a color that worked well for me. This lipgloss hits all of those requirements while being organic, cruelty-free, and leaves my lips feeling nourished (not dry), stays on for a long time, fades well, and smells like vanilla. I love the shade “plum” for me but may try another color soon too.
6. Facial at Face Gym NYC– Speaking of fancy facials in NYC, I’m dying to try Face Gym. It’s not really a facial it’s a face workout and looks so interesting. According to their website it is non-invasive, zero-risk facelifting. Apparently, “their original non-invasive face workout visibly tones and tightens your face muscles leaving you looking fresh, glowing, and lifted.” …I think it sounds pretty fun to try! Have you done it?
7. A New Backpack– My current backpack as been with me for years. We’ve traveled all across the country together on my book tour, back and forth to Hawaii twice, and moved to NYC from Michigan. I’ve spilled leftovers in it, I’ve dropped it on busy subway floors, and I’ve stuffed it full with podcasting equipment shlepping all over the city. Needless to say, it is time for an upgrade. I’m thinking this one might be the ideal fit for a new laptop backpack. Anyone have this backpack? I’d love your thoughts on it. Which color do you like best?
8. A Sleep Shirt– I feel like PJs are the best gift. Buying clothes for someone is always a bold choice and risky but a sleeping outfit seems like a much easier thing to pick out for another person, plus at the holidays store tend to have such cute novelty sleepwear. I especially like this from J.Crew & this from Madewell & also this set (but I’m sure they’ll be half off by the first of the year…)
9. SHHHOWER Cap– It’s no secret by now to everyone I know and most of the internet that I only wash my hair about twice a month. Therefore, you’ll be happy to know I often shower while trying to keep my hair dry. I’ve been using plastic hotel shower caps with yoga headbands hoping for the best, but recently I discovered the SHHHOWER Cap which is SUCH an upgrade. It not only looks like a fashionable turban, it does a fantastic job at actually keeping my hair dry. I love them so much I reached out and got us a discount so we can get one for 10% off : use the code KATIE.
two more non-gifts related holiday things….
–I would like ever space I step into until December 25th to smell like this or this.
—Serendipity is my favorite Christmas movie & I watch it every year at this time. Related, Cool Yule is my favorite holiday song.
–If you also love Serendipity you will likely enjoy this . …although I already knew most everything on the list because I’ve watched the directors notes on the dvd multiple times and I think about #15 on that list all the time! & this was also a delight.
—Here is my full gift guide + A Cup of Jo does gift guides better than anyone on the internet.