When you have a normal breakfast, you have a normal day; when you start your day with a delicious superfood breakfast prepared with love, you create space for magic. After all, you are what you eat. Wholesome nourishment is a form of self-love. Join me in giving yourself some fuzzy, kind, gentle love today. Because until you give it to yourself, you can’t give it to others fully. Find 99 more recipes and tips to have a super-morning, every day, in the Breakfast Criminals eBook (special offer for WW readers, details below).
You know I love to use my kitchen for most of my beauty, skin, and hair care routine from videos I’ve made like this or this. However, what you may not know is that this woman a past WWRadio guest, Alexis Wolfer is actually the queen of this. Her new book, The Recipe for Radiance is all about how to discover ways to use your kitchen ingredients in your beauty routine. You’ll love her fresh perspective and unique super creative ideas. To find out more about the radiant author herself make sure you listen to our WWRadio conversation here, it was a great one. Today Alexis, the beauty behind The Beauty Bean and author of this amazing book is visiting Wonderland to share one of her favorite recipes from the book (& mine too). It’s a tool that easy, your skin will love, and will naturally remove stretch marks.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup manuka honey
- In a medium pot, boil the sweet potato in water until easily pierced with a fork, approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add the honey and blend until smooth and well combined
- Let it cool to room temperature before applying a thick layer to stretch marks. Let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Repeat daily for best results
Notes: Retinols may be one of the go-to prescription treatments for healing stretch marks topically, but they cannot be applied during pregnancy. Retinols, though, get their power from Vitamin A—the same Vitamin A found in sweet potatoes! In this recipe, the sweet potato is combined with manuka honey, which has both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and has been show to help stimulate collagen production and the growth of new tissue.
This in the most honest review I’ve ever written. It may sound like an infomercial, but I assure you it is entirely genuine and authentic! I’m not being dramatic when I say that taking Gabrielle Bernstein’s Finally Full course changed everything for me. A gift from my beautiful friend, Elizabeth I was excited to hear Gabby talk about this topic, as I spoke about here since it had been such a struggle in my life.
The lessons, wisdom, and tools I learned from Gabby in this course dramatically altered my life and I re-listen to the audios often. They have the power to completely alter my current state and get me vibing higher and now I want to do the same for you. As I was listening to the course (for the billionth time) I took some notes. I jotted things down for myself in no particular order, and now looking back at this, there were bits of wisdom I know I needed to share.
Enjoy my nuggets of wisdom from the course that truly changed my life & start implementing them into yours:
NOTE: This is just scratching the surface – if you want to go deeper, grab a copy of FF and if you have any questions let me know!
1) 90% is Just Getting There. Gabby explained that 90% is just getting yourself there – i.e. to the yoga mat, getting the course, sitting at the meditation pillow, whatever it is you’re doing…she explained that just by signing up, you are opening yourself up to a new conversation and way of being. Pretty profound stuff already, right?
2) Make Decisions with Your Intuitive Mind. Gabby went deep into making decisions based on our intuitive mind and awakening that conversation with your inner guidance system.
3) When You’re Eating When You’re Not Hungry, Obsessing about Food, or Restricting Yourself From Eating You’ve Avoiding a Feeling You Don’t want to Feel. This was huge for me . When you are restricting or when you are in the “F-it who cares? I’ve already eating that cake might as well go in the cupboards” or Overeating or Binging… you are JUST AVOIDING A FEELING YOU DON’T WANT TO FEEL. You are simply cutting off communication with your inner guidance system. When you are controlling or obsessing over your next meal, or eating mindlessly so you don’t have to feel, or restricting deeply to not feel…. you are cutting off communication with your inner guidance system/God/Universe/whatever you want to call it. ….WOW right?
4) Start Where You Are. Who cares if you ate junk for breakfast & lunch – start with dinner! Or who cares if you ate most of your meal standing in the kitchen while you were preparing it. Who cares if you sped through you meal and only have a few bites left, just start there and mindfully eat those last few bites. Gabby goes way deeper into depicting this with a grapefruit story or how she tried eating a big juicy grapefruit in the car before realizing that wasn’t mindful. I constantly keep that story in the back of my mind.
5) Love Yourself Too Much Too Hurt Yourself. Gabby gives an antidote that made this conceptt finally hit home. In her early recovery she was around a bunch of women passing around a tray of cupcakes. She knew she was recovered when she took a bite and passed the rest and the other women looked at her in awe, and she said simply, “I love myself too much to eat it.” At that moment she knew she was headed in the right direction.
6) Meditation is Key, Even WHILE You’re Eating. Gabby gives a rad mala bead meditation to do during eating. I’ve been trying it, working it, and now loving it. New to meditation? No problem, Gabby guides you through so many and gives you massively helpful Kundalini simple tools & meditations I’ve been able to implement into my daily life. One of my favorite quotes was this, “My happiness is a direct reflection of how frequently I’m meditating and praying.”
7) Constant Contact– The most major lesson for me is the Gabby’s teaching on creating constant conversation and dialog (prayer) with the Universe. Daily recognition that you aren’t alone and you are being guided is crucial. Gabby says it like this: if you walk around thinking, ‘Boy I’d love to be guided, but ‘I’VE GOT THIS,’ you get in your own way and cut off the synchronicities of life. You prevent that song that was going to play or completing someone’s sentence, etc. So stay tapped in and expand your inner awareness and let the Universe do things for you.
Keeping that communication CONSTANT is crucial. This is the way Gabby broke it down that finally made it make sense for me: Think of talking to the Universe like talking to a friend. If you only talk to a friend when you need them or when something’s wrong they’ll show up then, but at no other time. However, if you are in that constant communication that’s when magic can happen throughout your day-to-day life…try it and watch for the magic. Perhaps make the below your prayer (it has been transformational for me.)
8) Breathe, the #1 Tool in the Kit. The breathe is the greatest tool for us in recovery from anything. She teaches so many breathing techniques, I’ll just mention my favorite and what I think is the most powerful… breathe of fire, here’s a video I did on it a while ago. This breathe is a staple in Kundalini yoga, gabby says it’s like water.
9) Major Distinction Food IS Pleasure & Joy. This course is not about not enjoying food, food is one of the few sensational pleasures of life and flavors should ABSOLUTELY BE ENJOYED. Food is there for joy, pleasure, & nourishment, but not for controlling an emotion you don’t want to feel. Do find joy in food, but also joy in someone’s eyes, in laughing, in having sex, in doing yoga, there are many ways to feel joy and food is just one of the.
10) Food Relationship = Self Relationship = World Relationship. Whether you’re overeating or not eating or crazy calorie restricting or pretending you have food allergies… your relationship with food is a direct correlation to your relationship with yourself and to the world. –> deep right?
11) Get Clear on Your Food History Story-.What is the energy you bring to eating? She guides us to figure out our story with food, what practices did you pick up as a kid from your family? Did you grow up thinking there was never enough and that made you eat fast? What did you pick up that you can release now?
-Here are my tendencies: so fast, very checked out….I’ve learned to slow down and I used to be frantic and fast with food. I have learned to shift this using Gabby’s tools and actually be present and taste and enjoy my meals.
12) When Eating Around
People Who Don’t Eat Clean or Eat Like You, Bringing Your Food is NOT Enough. Somebody asked this question, and this was a good answer: when eating around people who don’t eat like you, sure, prepare yourself. If you’re a vegetarian and everyone’s eating meat you’ve got to bring some extra vegetables, but don’t just do that. You have to also show up with your spiritual big guns or you will be judging them and making yourself special and feel chaotic which is a sure party pooper. In answering this question Gabby said this kick-ass quote…
13) Getting To A Place of Peace With Food. How do you get to a place where you feel comfortable with food? The real question is how do you get to a place when you feel comfortable with yourself and with feeling your feelings. You may go through this course and realize, like I did, that your real trouble wasn’t with food but in relationships or money or another area of life all together.
It really all boils down to figuring out the feeling you don’t want to feel…one question that came up was that there are so many feelings trying to figure out what it is that you’re avoiding that you’re eating over or not eating over. Do you know what that feeling is? If not, no problem, Gabby will guide you to figure it out in a rad meditation that takes you deep into patterns around eating, binging and obsessing about food.
14) Why Feel The Feelings?- Treat yourself as you would a little child when they’re upset. You would have them feel it and cry it out. You wouldn’t say eat this cupcake or snort this cocaine, you would have them experience the feeling and cry it out, not numb it out with abusive stuff, right? Do the same for yourself.
*Gabby gives so many tools in this as a buffet, for you to take what works and leave the rest. She mentions that you are the guru and that we are each so unique that, each tool she provides will not work for everyone and it is for you to decide which one you will incorporate. The beauty ofFinally Full is that each time I listen to it, I pick up a different tool. Not because it’s changed, but because I’ve changed each time I return to it.**
Goal is to get to this place & find the ease in eating. YOU CAN DO IT, IF I DID IT ANYONE CAN.
I will leave you with this quote from Gabby, “You come with one intention and leave with something else very often when in a spiritual setting like this. Food is one of the pleasures of life…enjoy it. you have the capacity to have a relationship with food that’s beautiful and adding up these moments, that’s miraculous change.”
Bottom Line– buy the course it will change your life (& it is 25% off now!) I listen to it over and over again whenever I get into a funk with food and my eating.
Today we have an awesome recipe guest post from someone really cool in my local community. Today’s delicious recipe is from Detroit Gypsy Kitchen, a friendly, delicious, empowering, colorful popup chef and health coaching business in Detroit.
Steph, the creator of this amazing local company, has an awesome website with recipes & a rad blog. Detroit Gypsy Kitchen offers private coaching, catering, and cooking classes as well as hosting awesome events like this one Fermentation 101. You’ll love her food, classes, coaching and more. Check her out & without further ado as Steph shares a recipe with us today!
Take it away Steph…
I loved experimenting with the traditional pesto recipe to come up with something vegan friendly and a little more as I call ‘kitchen sink’ (everything but the kitchen sink!). Using whats available teaches us to be more adventurous & experimental in the kitchen which intern empowers us in many different aspects of life. In using a part of the carrot that usually gets the boot, I’ve discovered the greens are quite useful. Carrot tops are high in chlorophyll, protein & vitamin c! So if you grow carrots yourself or get them from a trusted organic supplier, you can use carrot tops in pesto, salad, juice & more. I’ve read it’s not safe to eat carrot tops that are not organically grown, and that is a great rule of thumb 🙂 Here we go:
2 cups herbs packed down (I used chives and carrot tops. Make sure the carrot tops are organic! Mine were from my garden. I think it’s important to use whatever herbs you have. All green herbs go!)
1/3 cup either pine nuts, pumpkin seeds or walnuts (toasted pumpkin seeds are great!)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (yum)
2-4 cloves garlic (2 for low on the garlic breath-o-meter)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (if you like a zing)
1c olive oil OR 1/2 c olive oil and 1/2c fresh avocado (avocado & coconut oil is nice as well)
1) Put all ingredients and only 1/2c of oil in food processor *note: use 1/4c less oil if using for a spread or dip
2) As everything blends together slowly add the other 1/2c of oil
3) Smother on organic pasta, zucchini pasta, spread on toasted bread, add to, put on roasted potatoes, use as a salad dressing or veggie dip. The possibilities are endless!
Want to see the world, but stay in Wellness Wonderland at the same time? Be in two places at once? It’s possible! In today’s vlog I show you how.
Do you love traveling, yet part of you flips at the thought of leaving your healthy lotions and potions behind Does the idea of not having your Vitamix for any period of time make you cringe? Well here’s the good news, in today’s vlog I’ve got the tips you need for remaining in Wellness Wonderland as you see the world. Wellness should never hold you back, rather it should empower you to go further & expand further.
You can be in the Wellness Wonderland wherever you are, because (shhhh…) here’s the secret: The Wellness Wonderland is simply a state of mind you can access whenever you want to.
Love the cool print above, check out more pretty letterpress art where that came from from my friend The Mint Creative herself, Laura.
Here’s my previous video on how to make your own superfood, super convenient trail mix.