It’s no secret by now but I love me some Lena Dunham. I think she is the most humble & authentic artist of our generation. As much as I love personal growth, wellness, and spirituality I love me some fiction & art equally as much. In fact, I think it is important and as I spoke with my friend Elle on this podcast fiction and storytelling IS important for personal growth.
I loved Not That Kind of Girl for a couple reasons:
It makes my journaling better because reading a memoir makes me more comfortable writing in vivid detail about the seemly insignificant events and happenings in my life.
By reading about the events and circumstances from Lena’s life and childhood as someone from my generation, I can not only relate, but use what she drew attention to as an inspiration to acknowledge the events that have impacted me without me being aware.
It makes me feel like I’m not alone in my weirdness, struggles, awkwardness, and imperfections since someone from my generation has vocalized what we all go through in our own unique ways.
Since she shared her story at the level of raw honesty she did, it gives me permission and inspires me to share with that same level of authenticity too.
She is talented at being extremely self-aware of the gravity of the experiences she’s having almost simultaneously to going through them.
I’m grateful for Lena Dunham for her authenticity, her voice, and her bravery to portray our generation in the media. Is it all true for me personally? No, but I can relate to 80 percent of what she writes about by experience or through witnessing it in people I’ve know or encountered & the other 20 percent makes for great entertainment.
Here are a few more things related to this topic:
–Review I liked of the book.
-If you read it and you were wondering who the character of Nellie was as much as I was when I read it, I’ll save you some googling. Here you go. I had to stop drop and google as soon as I read that part too like I was Curious George.
-Isabel Foxen Duke & I made a video which will be out soon about the food & body image part of the book. For now check out this amazing video she did that makes me love her even more.